AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

HELP! Dickey John GPS system (Fla veggie farmer WIFE)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

plowboy
Posted 11/15/2006 03:09 (#61747 - in reply to #61726)
Subject: Re: HELP! Dickey John GPS system (Fla veggie farmer WIFE)

Brazilton KS
IF you are using real GPS, you should be able to set it to use GPS speed and dispense with the distance/speed calibration. It may require a groundspeed sensor and calibration for backup where GPS signal is lost. If so, you can probably work this cal number out by adjusting until the display matches the GPS speed. If it just has one of the GPS ground speed sensors, these output a face pulse signal to imitate a rador or magnetic pickup, and the console will not know it is not dealing with a radar or mag pickup. I would assume the GPS groundspeed sensors would include their applicible plus per foot number in their literature.

Densitiy is important because....
if operating liquid system, different density will make flow meter respond differnently. Flowmeter will basically measure gallons, if you are after lbs it needs to know the lbs per gallon
if operating dry (you are, right?) then the density is necessary to get from what it is measuring, which will be volume to what you want it to report, which is probably weight. A dry system basically measures the revolutions of the metering device and has to have a constant to convert that to weight applied.

I'm not really familiar with the Dj system, so some of the rest of this is guessing....Here are my guesses though.

I imagine that the flush flow rate allows you to set what rate the product is fed when flushing the boom. This is probably mostly applicable to liquid systems. You may want to flush at as high a rate as possible to clan the boom better or get done faster, or you may want to flush at a lower rate to reduce pressure and therefore not cause drift problems.

System response is probably a factor that controls how aggressively the control valve is activated. You want this aggressive to make faster rate corrections but not so fast as to leve the system constantly fluctuating back and forth, unable to settle into a rate.

I'm guessing the "Bar graph maximum flow rate" sets the maximum value which a bar graph somewhere can display, so that if you are putting on 5 gallons per acre, you can have the maximum somewhere like 10 gpa so that you run in mid range and can judge somethign from the display, or if putting on 50 gpa you can still set it to do that, as well. Without being able to adjust it, the graph would have to accomdate the 50 gpa rate that someone might use which would leave a 5 gpa application working with only a very small portion of the guage travel and the display would not be able to give much detail.

There's a little bit of knowledge and quite a bit of speculation for you to consider. I did work with a custom applicators Dickey John system a little bit maybe 5 years ago and it seems like that one was well documented and windows based which made it pretty easy to figure out if you had a little to get started with.

There is a lot to be said for ground drive systems in many applications.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)