AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Topdressing wheat Dry vs Liquid
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Phil N
Posted 10/18/2007 10:26 (#221994 - in reply to #221731)
Subject: RE: Topdressing wheat Dry vs Liquid-herbicides (with pics)

CKansas, I have had good luck using Finesse in the fall across the Central Plains as long as your pH is less than 7.0. If its over 7.0, you could have carryover issues with some crops, so you need to switch to Harmony Extra as discussed below by one of the posters. Many producers want to tank mix their herbicide and N together and apply them in the spring. Although this saves the grower a +/- $5.00 pass across the field, it costs them lots of bushels as a result of the leaf injury. With the current wheat prices, a small saving costs a grower a lot of money. Remember also that the leaf injury increases when herbicides are added to the liquid N and applied with spray nozzles.

I mentioned accuracy of N delivery was one of the yield limiting factors when I came to this country. Streamer bars are the premium way of applying liquid N evenly across the boom and they are not height dependant (So if its windy you can lower the boom without compromising accuracy, you can also raise the boom if you have terraces or rolling ground, again without compromising accuracy)

The 3 hole and 5 hole nozzles cause more burn as a result of the increased liquid N droplet break-up and they are very height sensitive, so they can streak fields.

20" stream bars have 4 outlets and are about $12.00 each with all the attachments and an orfice to maintain the correct pressure/gallons per acre.

3, 5 or 7 hole caps are about half the price of a stream bar I agree, but stream bars are more accurate and cause significantly less scorch. The stream bars will make you money, the 3, 5 or 7 hole caps cost you money in my opinion. I have worked with all three designs over the years and the stream bars are the best by a long way. See the images below and decide for yourself.

Phil

www.needhamag.com

Edited by Phil N 10/18/2007 11:00

(Tramlines.jpg)

(15 inch stream bars.jpg)

(3 hole cap poor distribution.jpg)

(5 hole caps.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Tramlines.jpg (92KB - 423 downloads)
Attachments 15 inch stream bars.jpg (90KB - 432 downloads)
Attachments 3 hole cap poor distribution.jpg (84KB - 433 downloads)
Attachments 5 hole caps.jpg (95KB - 426 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)