AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Topdressing wheat Dry vs Liquid
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Phil N
Posted 10/17/2007 22:45 (#221701 - in reply to #220747)
Subject: RE: Topdressing wheat Dry vs Liquid

Pofarmer, when I left the UK and started work with the Miles/Opti-Crop organization (and thier wheat customers) one of the biggest wheat yield limitations we faced was uniform (and timely) N applications. Many producers back then were applying N with spinner trucks or spreader buggies and ended up streaking fields. Standability issues and poor yields commonly resulted. Even after we spent hours pattern testing spinner spreaders, it always seemed like the differences in topography, winds, application rates, sources of the fertilizers etc, all had an effect on the spread pattern.

I encourage producers to split apply N to winter wheat, partially as a risk management tool and partly becuase the rate of the second application can be better determined around the 1st joint stage. Splitting the spring N also allows producers to manipulate tillers up or down (to achieve close to ideal head populations at harvest time).

Urea is usually priced similarly to liquid N, so air-trucks are a must for dry fertilizers in my opinion. Its OK to use urea 1st application (if its priced lower than liquid - but be aware that the conversion from urea to nitrate takes 10-14 days depending on moisture, temperatures etc.) so small wheat plants (that need more encouragement to tiller) are better adressed with the faster acting liquid N.

For the second application (at or just prior to 1st joint) the problem here is that few producers have row-crop air rigs. Terra-gators with floater tires are out of the question for the second application becuase they run down and damage too much wheat.

Most producers have a row-crop sprayer, so liquid N can be delivered evenly across the boom. I strongly encourage the use of streamer bars, these signifciantly reduce the leaf scorch associated with liquid N applications and almost eliminate the yield drag associated with spraying on liquid N. Anyone wishing to control weeds will need a separate pass I agree, but I suggest winter annuals need to be controlled in the fall not the spring (before they begin to compete with the wheat).

Phil

www.needhamag.com
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)