AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Topdressing wheat Dry vs Liquid
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NEMOScott
Posted 10/17/2007 20:36 (#221574 - in reply to #220747)
Subject: Planning on liquid

Callao, Missouri
Last year:
Half of the P and K went on in the fall for the wheat, dc beans, and 08 beans. So I got about 40-50# N in the fall from the DAP.

I went back in feb with my fertilizer cart and put on 65-70# N via urea, plus some more P and K and some K-MAG.

The wheat looked spectacular until the freeze. The field that got winter grazed went on to make GREAT wheat, but the others, not so much. I have kicked around the notion that if maybe that spring app was split, maybe it wouldn't of been so bad.

I double spread with my own cart, but still had a slight streak. Also had worries about the product sitting on the ground (I got it in from the river) until applied. And I was never sure if 25' was really 25' every time.

I bought an old road-oil/tar trailer this year, so I'm planning to use it to get in tanker loads of liquid N this year. Can anyone tell me if the tar will react with the N? I haven't done any tests yet.

The local dealer charges way too much for liquid, so I'm just going to bypass them altogether. It will still be higher than dry, but not by much the last time I checked.

This spring, I plan on 3-4 passes. That wouldn't work if a person didn't have their own sprayer. 1. about 40#N, 2. 2,4-D if needed, 3. More N, 4. Fungicide. I used Quadris this year and was satisfied.

I don't have a clue about the Sulfur. I would like to put some on though. Maybe I'll get enough from the tar?

I use a little liquid N when spraying my pre-emerge corn chemicals, so I'd like to keep it on hand anyway. I don't have streamer bars, I made T's out of NH3 hose and T fittings. I just pipe-clamped them to my AI spray tips. Next year I will use Y fittings instead because the T's just flow out whichever side is lower.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)