AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planter Upgrade - Which Way to Go
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Bhrfarms
Posted 6/10/2023 18:26 (#10264754 - in reply to #10264735)
Subject: RE: Planter Upgrade - Which Way to Go

Northeast Indiana
It rides up in the middle due to not having enough weight over that part of the bar, while at the same time has developed stress cracks on the main bar, and it doesn't have bulk fill seed. With all of the added equipment, the bar is already crowded as it is, bulk fill will make it that much worse and require a lot of work to rework it to handle the extra weight and components. We've owned the planter for 25 years, and its been a good planter, just feel like I should move on instead of putting more time and money into it. The lift wheel mechanics/wheel frames aren't a great setup, its wide going down the road, and you have to manually get out to fold it, lock it up, unfold it, and unlock it. A newer bar addresses a lot of those issues with nicer features as well.

Edit: The idea of saving quite a bit of money by reworking it is definitely appealing. On one hand, if its done right and accomplishes getting it to where I want it, the money savings is nice. On the other hand, a newer bar is already nicer than what I have and will save a lot of time and effort, though at a greater cost. Definitely a trade of money for time and convenience, but aren't all equipment upgrades? The bulk fill will greatly help on efficiency and put money in our pocket with better planting timing.

Edited by Bhrfarms 6/10/2023 18:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)