AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Celiacs Disease
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Iowajim
Posted 1/22/2024 10:44 (#10587552 - in reply to #10583658)
Subject: RE: Celiacs Disease

NW Iowa
Turbo Diesal I am glad you suggested straying away from the gluten free section and going to the meat and cheese section of the store. my wife and I do go to the gluten free section for a snack treat once in awhile but boy is it expensive. My wife has concocted a recipe for apple crisp that is better than any recipe containing gluten. When she used to make meals during harvest the apple crisp disappeared real quick when the crew came to eat.

And speak of fast food, Carvers advertises a gluten free bun. I have tried a Carver's burger with their gluten free bun and the bun is very tasty and is not gummy or crumbly. But I still react to it and I think the reason is the meat came from the same griddle that might have had had something containing gluten on it previously. I absolutely cannot eat Carver's fries so the fries must have a touch of wheat in or on them.

Gluten free bread or pastries can be very crumbly due to the lack of wheat used as a binder. It acts like corn bread, it just falls apart. Gar Gum can be added to stick the bread together but then it gets gummy in your mouth when you chew it. I don't know what Carvers uses in their buns to make them so tasty and good but I will give them credit for the good bun. For those of you who do not have a gluten problem, if you go to Culvers order your meat with their gluten free bun just to give it a try.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)