AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Vaccine for calves with unvaccinated mothers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

turbo diesal
Posted 2/15/2024 12:04 (#10624506)
Subject: Vaccine for calves with unvaccinated mothers

I'm wanting to know what others do or would recommend for vaccinating calves that have mothers that are unvaccinated or have unknown vaccine status. I know triangle 10 is a option.

The labels say do not give to calves nursing pregnant cows that are not vaccinated or the unborn calf could be aborted or harmed. This seems highly unlikely to me. Maybe it is one of those things were it is theoretically possible and the lawyers put it in there to shield themselves for liability. Maybe it causes a issue in 1 out of 1000 cows but the benefits far outweigh the risks. Or I could be wrong...

What is everyone thoughts on this? And those that have cows that are not vaccinated with a modified live virus or have uncertain vaccination history what do you?

Seems alot of people buy cows with unknown shot history. It is very impractical to vaccinate large groups of cows 2x within the very small or non existent window between birth and rebreeding unless you have everyone calving in a nice 45 day window and many do not. Not to mention the temporary fertility hit often reported when vaccinating cows that have a naive immune system.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)