AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Vaccine for calves with unvaccinated mothers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 2/16/2024 03:00 (#10625352 - in reply to #10625327)
Subject: RE: Vaccine for calves with unvaccinated mothers

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
Just my thoughts, long time ago I was getting respiratory problems in my milk cows on 2nd and 3rd lactation. So we decided on recommendations of my old vet to vaccinate at preg checking time with Cattlemaster 4 I thought it was, I sure could me wrong. I do remember it was a Cattlemaster brand made by Pfizer. We ran all the milking herd, within one week we aborted a handful. Vet told me to bring vaccine back, not to second dose them. So at that time vet told us to just make sure to vaccinate all calves with the Bovi-Shield Gold at least two times before breeding them.

When we made sure to do that, it ended our problems. We used the Bovi-Shield Gold products long time before cowherd was totally 100% vaccinated with it on our calves at branding & weaning on beef herd. We never had a shedding problem from calves to cows sucking. This was done on recommendations of our two vets at the time. Over time from keeping all our own replacements, cows became 100% vaccinated with Bovi-Shield.

This has worked well for us over the years, however I run in a totally different climate and habitat than most of you guys. Our cattle run spread out. There is a lot of problems we never see with cattle because of our location.

It is off label to vaccinate calves with Bovi-Shield sucking cows of unknown history. However we never saw it being a problem. It was done on recommendations of my vets of the time. I trusted them. Only problem I ever had with vaccinations of milking herd with Cattlemaster, only done one time. If it was me I wouldn't vaccinate cows, but only calves at this point. If you could vaccinate cows while open would be the best choice. But most likely not a option. Honestly if cows are running age I question giving it to them. But again I run in a different area than most
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)