AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Re - Cattle Operation in Row Crop Country
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

WCWI
Posted 2/20/2024 23:27 (#10632920 - in reply to #10632053)
Subject: RE: Re - Cattle Operation in Row Crop Country

JAnderson - 2/20/2024 12:06

Be more moving but calf out on the small pastures with easiest and best fences. Then at bull turnout time go to big pasture. Put pairs back on other pastures or crop stubble after that.

I’m more or less in the same situation. I won’t put one bull in alone, 2 minimum with every group of cows. I don’t want to try fall calving due to breeding window in potential below 0 weather, cows probably don’t have that much fun nursing either in cold weather in the elements. North country and cows outside just doesn’t make sense for fall calving

Respectfully have to disagree with this, we run 50-60 cows and I split into 2 groups, one bull with each, both tested for breeding fitness, for the first 3 weeks then put all together or maybe just one bull if extenuating circumstances ( one hurt himself on day 18 one year). I want each bull; breeding cows in heat not fighting over who gets to breed the cow in heat or the dominant bull breeding everything while the other watches, if you have any doubts and cannot put together or want to continue running 2 groups then I would switch them at 21 days to cover your bases better.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)