AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Re - Cattle Operation in Row Crop Country
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

chickenqueen
Posted 2/21/2024 12:38 (#10633568 - in reply to #10631902)
Subject: RE: Re - Cattle Operation in Row Crop Country

Mid MO
I calve feb/March on stockpiled fescue at farm 1. April 15 open the gate and run them on farm 2. Creep the calves starting July 1 and truck wean last part of July. Dry cows trucked to farm 3 until the grass runs out. Maybe dec/jan Rinse and repeat.

Another place is 2 patches. Calve may/June walk the cows from piece to piece down the black top. The larger piece has the catch pen and load out. Calves get weaned when time allows and no creep.

These are cows only. I. calve heifers at home.

Each bunch of cows has a designated bull. Test the bulls before turn out. When I take them out just depends on how they look and if they are needed elsewhere. If the bull looks good and isn't causing problems, I have no problem leaving him in with dry cows. Better than me having him in the lots, taking up space, and having to hand feed him.

The thing about patch farms is, sometimes the neighbor will see you working from across the fence and it plants the idea that they might want you to run a few cows for them as well. One patch will get you by, but if you can string a couple together it starts working much better.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)