AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Becks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 3/17/2024 09:02 (#10668271 - in reply to #10668208)
Subject: RE: Becks

Chebanse, IL.....

I remember when companies all went to bean count/bag. I remember when corn companies all went to kernel ct per bag. We used to buy corn by the 56# bag and certified bean seed in 60# bags. Fertilizer was 80 or 100# bags, later 50# bags. One more thing...we no longer called them bags, we started calling them units. I am also guessing it's arguable as just who absolutely was the first one to do unit pricing. Hard to disprove someone else didn't do it first.

We plant Becks products also. Good company, good products, and great people. But, this still doesn't explain why Becks is 130K & EVERYONE else is 140K. Why suggest they are the only ones that are right and the rest wrong?

Again, I'm betting that 90%+ of bean seed sold is in bulk form and not in paper sewn bags. So, it's merely a matter of designating a seed number and a price. I don't care how many seeds per bag a company proclaims, you can still only pack so many into a ProBox period. Maybe  Fred Bean seed company will see fit to use 137,500 seeds per bag as a standard. Wouldn't that be stupid? I suggest Becks continues with their same great company, great products, and outstanding representatives and just proclaim tomorrow morning that "standard bean seed pricing will now be 140K per bag....pricing". End of it. The discussion will be over. They won't need to do anything different other than go into their computers and adjust the column that divides their total inventory by 140K instead of 130K. The price per unit will change accordingly. Now, everyone will be the same. Discussion over. AgTalk can go back to discussing aerial application vs ground.

One more thing, I always ran numbers in my head long before calculators were available. It's what I did to pass the time while row cultivating or plowing. We didn't have radios either. But to me, it's always been easier to work with "even numbers", e.g. 2, 4, 6, 8 etc vs odd number of 1, 3, 5, 7, etc. Mental dividing and multiplication was easier. 140 is an even number. 130 is an odd number to me.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)