AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

MoHawk II and feed efficiency
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

12thMan
Posted 3/19/2024 07:10 (#10671069 - in reply to #10670664)
Subject: RE: MoHawk II and feed efficiency

Western Ontario
Thanks for sharing! Would you happen to have the diet specs for the test? When I view both of those bulls I believe they are very efficient at feed conversion and high gaining. They are opposite of bulls I would use to retain females from, I did read the article (quite well written) that states that the top efficiency cattle were 30% more likely to stay in the herd, again I’d like to know what the cow diet is.
I was in Tennessee last week and visited 3 different angus herds. There were essentially 2 different types of cattle (all 3 herds) northern (n dakota/montana/canadian genetics) and more performance based (very high yearling weight epd) cattle. They look very different. The high performance cattle would not work as cows in my environment and management, the northern genetics maybe aren’t required in large areas and maybe wouldn’t work in areas with limited resources (too much body mass to maintain for available resources). In the last 12 months I’ve seen cattle grazing in California basically grazing beside the Pacific ocean, cattle in the northern half of Alberta, cattle grazing in Nova Scotia right beside the Atlantic Ocean (Supa’s neck of the woods) and cattle almost at the Tennessee/Alabama border, very different environments and all the cattle look a bit different which fascinates me.

Edited by 12thMan 3/19/2024 08:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)