AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farmers about how hard they work
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

billonthefarm
Posted 3/20/2024 18:54 (#10673082 - in reply to #10673023)
Subject: RE: Farmers about how hard they work

Farmington IL
I am the first one in the door of the shop and almost always the last one to head to the house. I work almost every Saturday and some sundays. My employees don’t work either unless we are knee deep in harvest or planting and then I usually try to find a way I can avoid it. I can get things line up where I can plant/spray alone or I shut the combine down and go do some tillage while they are off. I sit and do paperwork before I start my day on the farm and we’ll into the night at times. I avoid most farm meetings like the plague. I don’t hang out waiting for salesmen to talk with. I do run around during the working day on non farm work sometimes. I serve on the township board and school board. Not farm related but community based. Recently have been helping the local FFA chapter prep a ag mechanics team. I have 2 long term employees. They have immense freedoms. I treat them like they are family. As far as anyone else’s opinions of what I do or how I do it, I am to the point in life I don’t care and I think I have earned the right to screw off a little it if suits me. I remember sleeping in the tractor and sprayer in the corner of a field in the middle of the night trying to feeding cattle in blizzards and being up all hours calving. Just today a guy asked me at lunch “what do you do without the cows?” I simply replied “I enjoy life and I sleep more!”
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)