AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farmers about how hard they work
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Iowajim
Posted 3/20/2024 21:19 (#10673245 - in reply to #10673187)
Subject: RE: Farmers about how hard they work

NW Iowa
dittfarms - 3/20/2024 20:36

I think the hardest workers out there are the small mom and pop restaurants that basically only use family to operate.

I always thought I wanted a restaurant until I paid attention to everything, now I am glad I settled on a grocery store with some catering. It’s only about 60 hours a week at the store compared to 80 when we first opened. In the winter it drops to 50 and summer back to 70 but 90% is spent with someone in the family.
Next year I will farm about 200 acres of hay in my free time if it all works out.

When I had 800 acres of hay, I don’t think I spent any time with my family so this is much better.

One thing about the grocery store is I can sit around and talk with customers and that makes the day go by. I will work at the grocery store until the day I am sick of it and the next day I will be retired or start a new business.

This is why most new mom and pop restaurants last only a few years. Mom and pop have to almost be unsocial people who live above the restaurant. It takes a special kind of person to do this, specially strong physically and mentally. I do admire the family run restaurants that have been around for 30, 40 or more years. It’s about the toughest job on earth.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)