AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calves Not Breathing at Birth
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Supa Dexta
Posted 3/31/2024 08:28 (#10687519)
Subject: Calves Not Breathing at Birth

NS Canada
Only have a dozen on the ground so far and now have 3 dead from non response when born.

1st was a heifer that needed a C section - got calf out and found it odd it never tried to take a breath, chocked it up to taking too long to get it out / bad luck. Had a twin to put on her, so that was ok.

2nd was another heifer, but with her own twins - First calf (smaller heifer) was a bit of a pull, but not what I would call a hard birth - Same thing, no response to take its first gasp and begin breathing. Tried straw in nose, bucket of cold water over head and in ear, and CPR for 5 mins. It kicked a few times as it ran low of oxygen, then watched life leave its eyes as they cloud over. Pulled 2nd twin out (bigger Bull calf), and had normal response. Doing fine.

This morning now was a 3rd calver - More of a hard birth, Vet was called and we got it out without it being too terrible, Cow herself didn't get right down to trying to push a whole lot, and it had been a few hours since sac broke. Same thing, tried everything I could think of and a shot of epinephrine, But looking back on camera I did CPR for 9 mins. Heart was beating, Was able to keep it alive for those minutes, it would even blink.. No other movement though, but then when I stoped breathing for it - Dead.

Bred to different bulls. Cows in good enough shape, not fat. Was different Vet for 3rd, than 1st C section - so he's going to call the other vet to discuss. But was really surprised as how well/ quickly we did get it out, and then for it to have no fight in it.

This is seeming to be too much to be a coincidence. Feed quality would be lower this winter, but cows maintained condition OK - Are calves just weak, and little harder births doing them in?

Respiratory acidosis? Not much else I can do short of having oxygen on hand and a defibrillator, if they're not even going to try to breathe on their own...

Edited by Supa Dexta 3/31/2024 08:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)