AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to AgLeader, have mostly trimble, how to RTK?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/3/2024 06:27 (#10691632 - in reply to #10690353)
Subject: RE: New to AgLeader, have mostly trimble, how to RTK?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Yes, the above is correct. The genuine Ag Leader displays do not contain any GPS circuitry.

In many cases the GPS circuitry and antenna are in the same enclosure on top of the cab. These are referred to as a "smart antenna".

In other situations, the GPS circuitry is in a separate enclosure inside the cab which is connected to a "dumb" antenna on top of the cab.

Each has advantages. The smart antennas require a setup through the display but result in less cab clutter.

It is easy to determine whether a device is a "smart" or "dumb" antenna. Just look at the connector on it. If the connector uses a CoAx cable (wire inside the other wire) with a swivel type connector then the device is a "dumb" antenna and must connect to a another device that contains the GPS circuitry. That box is connected to the Ag Leader system.

If on the other hand, the device has a cable ending in a multiple wire connector such as a 9 pin computer style connector then the device is a "smart" antenna where both the circuitry and antenna are inside the enclosure on the roof

I have used both with my Ag Leader systems. My first system was an Ag Leader Insight which like all Ag Leader products did not contain any GPS capabilities. I used it with a Trimble 332 (yellow box with a few buttons and a small display) and a Trimble antenna. I could have used it with a Trimble 252 which would have been the equivalent but was a smart antenna with the GPS circuitry and antenna inside a rather square enclosure on top of the roof.

The level of correction being used WAAS, OmniStar, TerraStar, RTK etc. is all determined within the GPS engine or circuitry. Any unlocks, etc. are involved on the GPS side and not within the Ag Leader display. Ag Leader does not produce GPS systems but does resell them from other sources. That is why the unlock to allow TerraStar, OmniStar or RTK might be handled by an Ag Leader dealer.

The unlock code might be entered through the Ag Leader display but ends up in the GPS device. That means that any Ag Leader display can be connected to it and would benefit from the increased quality.

For example, I have 3 InCommand 1200's. I have 3 GPS systems. Any GPS can be connected to any InCommand. I have one GPS 7500 with the TerraStar Pro C unlock and a paid yearly subscription. I have two GPS 6500's but do not pay for any subscription so they utilize WAAS. I move the 7500 around to make best use of the paid subscription. The 6500's can be used on the other less important tasks on other vehicles.

Edited by tedbear 4/3/2024 08:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)