AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Push button lift switch for Ag Leader/Precision Planting
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/18/2024 08:07 (#10711145 - in reply to #10711058)
Subject: RE: Push button lift switch for Ag Leader/Precision Planting

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I use that style of implement switch myself for my Ag Leader system. I actually use two wired in parallel with one on each wing. This gives me some added reliability since either switch can complete the circuit to indicate that the planter is down in planting position. With only one button switch, if that row fell into a hole or malfunction, the system would believe my planter was UP and shut off my seed and spray.

As far as purchasing just that center part, I doubt if that is available loose. Just last week, I found one of those switches without the center portion on my bench so I must have had a problem with one myself at one time.

I worked for an Ag Leader dealer and it was very common to use that style of switch and bracket for Deere planters. We even made some brackets so they could be used with other brands. Due to problems with certain planters, the guys started using Ag Leader's antenna type implement switch and mounted one so it was triggered by the frame of the planter. They felt that the antenna type switches were more reliable. This would be an option for you if you are having trouble with the Deere switches.

For the time being, I plan on sticking with the Deere push buttons switches since I have gotten along fine with them with one exception. Last year we had erratic operation and the planter would kick ON/OFF regarding seed and spray. Finally we just put jumpers on the modules and used the Master switch when necessary.

I have two Deere Button switches and a Manual Override switch in the tractor. I have 3 modules that use an implement switch. So I had a rather strange implement switch harness. I didn't see anything wrong with it but I rebuilt it from scratch.

Fortunately while we were checking out our spray system prior to planting with the new implement switch adapter harness, it failed while spraying water. It failed in the sense that the spray section valves and seed clutches would cycle ON/OFF. This was sitting in the dooryard and not touching any switches.

We tried plugging/unplugging the implement switch branches one at a time. We found that the right implement switch and the tractor override switches worked properly one at a time but the left implement switch was balky. At first it would seem that the switch must be bad but while actually planting the right switch which seemed fine should have kept the planter planting and spraying. We removed the section of implement switch cable that was tied on to the planter frame leading to the left implement switch.

Upon closer inspection in good light, I could see that the wires leading to the Deere button switch had been rubbing on the parallel arms of the row unit and the insulation had worn through. This meant that at times, the wires could short out against the planter frame. This was not a dead short which would have blown a fuse but an intermittent short. The Ag Leader picked up that drop in voltage and responded like it would if the planter was raised.

I was able to shorten the wires and put on new pins. I put a couple of layers of shrink tubing over the wires for added protection. We only planted one field due to weather but that cured the problem.

As far as the problems with your switches, the switches are a Momentary Normally Closed switch meaning that the circuit is completed when the button is not depressed. The idea is that in planting position, the planting unit is riding on the ground. Then the button is free and completes the circuit. When the planter is raised, the frame goes up and the planting units go down due to gravity until they hit a welded tab for a stop. At that time, one parallel arm touches and pushes the button in. which breaks the circuit. Possibly your switches are set up a bit high and are taking the brunt of the boxes more than they should. Maybe a slight adjustment of the switch height would be easier on your switches.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)