AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lights Out - STX 450
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/25/2024 19:12 (#10717866)
Subject: Lights Out - STX 450

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
The alternator quit on my old STX-450 last Monday. The battery voltage got so low that I got a "low battery" warning which was soon followed by a loss of Auto Steer. I tried to fold up and limp home but the electric hydraulic valves would not cycle. I was literally dead in the water.

I called the local CIH dealership and they sent out a Tech with a rebuilt Alternator. He swapped alternators. He was able to jump start the tractor and indications seemed fine. I let it run for a bit and the hydraulic functions and other indications seemed normal so I continued to till. Most things seem fine since.

The night before my Great Nephew had called and said that he couldn't get the field lights to operate so he was going to quit for the night and that I would need to pick him up since he didn't dare drive home without lights. He soon called back and said that he was able to get the road lights and flashers (different switch) to work.

My first thought was that with the rebuilt alternator that the light problem might have healed. Such is not the case, the tractor seems fine in all respects except the light situation has not changed. I have no lights in any of the field positions of the big knob. The road/flasher switch does give front lights and flashers as it should.

I'm assuming that the lights are controlled by separate relays. I'm guessing one relay controls the lower front and lower rear headlights, Another relay controls the upper rear lights and yet another the front upper headlights. The switch triggers the various relays depending on it position. Since I do not have any lights in any combination of that switch, I conclude either the switch itself is bad or a fuse leading to it has blown as it seems unlikely that all the relays involved would have failed.

Since it appears that I'm going to have a weather break, I will investigate. My first thought is to pull each fuse one by one and test each with a meter. Hopefully I'll find one that is blown and go from there.

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm not certain as to how to remove the large knob switch from the upper panel in case it is the problem. Are the relays available from other sources than CIH? It appears there are several relays and several might be the same. I'm thinking of marking them and trying to rearrange them to observe the effect.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)