AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Agronomists, is nitrogen all the same?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Millhouse
Posted 10/16/2007 21:59 (#220812)
Subject: Agronomists, is nitrogen all the same?

South-central Nebraska
I really shouldn't leave this up to only certified agronomists, but I wanted a more technical explanation of which N source is best for a corn crop. Around here there is a difference of opinion of the liquid verses NH3 forms. Some say N is N and to just get it applied correctly for whichever form it is at the cheapest cost. Others feel that a more expensive liquid program is better because of plant safety and better, easier nutrient availability.

I have a BS degree in Agronomy from UNL. My experience and opinion is that of a liquid program being best, especially if split applied. I like to add other nutrients to the liquid N and have all of it injected into the ground. This often costs more than a NH3 based program.

This year throws a major loop into things as the spread between liquid and NH3 has in my opinion hit the economic threshold to switch back to a cheaper form, NH3. I am looking at compromising with some fall applied NH3, not to exceed my CEC, and sidedress 30 lbs liquid after corn emergence.

I've asked similar questions before about N. But, for some reason I just can't feel comfortable with a nutrient program going into next year. Price has really made the fertility program of a corn crop a huge issue. One could add or subtract here and there and have a very large difference in total price. With the wet fall we are having, another game plan for spring is going to possibly be needed as well. With high corn prices, cutting back on nutrients may not be the best decision either.

Part of me is just thinking this out loud.

Millhouse
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)