AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

FSA Image file question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

lfaleide
Posted 1/12/2008 22:26 (#281860 - in reply to #281647)
Subject: RE: Images ??

Very much agreed, We constantly tell our users to know your fields before using imagery or any other data layer. Too many people think its a black and white answer, pay the bill, because I'm to busy and I don't have time to look at the field analysis. If you don't soil test based on the image zones, how do you know your nutrient baseline to know what you need to apply? Yes, weed areas can sometimes look like another productive area in an image analysis, But if you know the field you can easily separate them.

Also Soil maps are very course. They are free, but you get what you pay for. How do we know? We converted about 40% of ND and SD Surrgo soil maps to digital format for NRCS. I wouldn't use them to map my precision ag variability. That is not what they were intended for. General trends only!

I wish more farmers would take the time to look at their fields with their consultants, If they did, the answers would be more common sense to them and consultants would provide better results. With these high input costs and high grain prices, it doesn't take much to make more profit from targeting inputs based on variability.

Lanny Faleide
Agri ImaGIS Technologies
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)