AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hitch winches are expensive!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 2/20/2008 10:11 (#314584 - in reply to #314335)
Subject: RE: Hitch winches REASON,

just a tish NE of central ND
Reasons for my interest in the hitch winch is that with my Versatile 4x4 ,I pull a concord air seeder with a tow behind air cart and a NH3 tank behind the air cart.Ive never measured, but it cant be too far from 100 foot if not more from front to back. Because we are small acrages I am in the feild alone much of the time and so when it is time to change tanks and fill seed, having things a little handier are appreciated.My usual tools for tank changes are a log chain and a come-along.. First Ill walk back and unhook the empty tank. Then walk back to the tractor and drive ahead,then get pickup and full tank and drive up close as I can, then unhook tank and drive pickup away and hook up empty tank,.Ill drag the chain and comealong over to the full tank,Ill chain the full tank to the back of the cart and drive forward till everything lines up straight and then back up straight as to get close to the tank hitch. Ill go back and unhook the chain and then get the comealong and winch it the rest of the way., then put the comealong and chain either in the pickup or carry them up to the traactor toolbox.If the ground is smooth it works good. If not, the hitch wanders side to side.With a power hitch winch, I could eliminate draging the comealong and chain around and eliminate one trip back to the tractro for sure and maybe save swome time and frustration, just pull out 25 ft cable and powerwinch it up on to the aircart and put in the torpedo hitch pin and couple the hoses, saftety chains........and go.
When I used to put the nh3 down with just ahtnd chisel plow it was easier to hook up tanks alone.Id just prop up the tankl hitch with a length of 1x4 and I could back the rear digger hitch up close enough (perfectly) and all I had to do was drop in the pin.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)