AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where all of our machinery begins....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

RodInNS
Posted 3/4/2008 21:24 (#325930 - in reply to #325552)
Subject: RE: Where all of our machinery begins....

I actually bought a box of nails last week. I didn't look where they were made but I'd assume it's China.
The sad part is that in 50 years they will learn what we learned about the industrial revolution, albeit too late... the same as we did. We're now in the process of cleaning up a 300 acre site in Sydney where the mill lay along with something like 50 acres of 'the Tar Ponds' which include 100 years worth of waste from that mill, it's coke ovens, and all around dump and a sewage pit for the majority of Sydney. This is a project that is projected to exceed 1 billion dollars, will include the redirection of several brooks and building a concrete bed for those brooks through the 'ponds', a dam to block the ponds entrance to the main part of Sydney harbour, and the complete stabilization of the material in the ponds with cement to encase it in one giant lump.... followed by a clay encapsulation, and then monitor it until hell freezes over. That's the legacy of Sydney Steel along with the billions in debt that the province now carries for having propped the thing up for 35 years....
I doubt that this is an isolated site with regard to the environmental mess as far as things go in the steel business.

Rod
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)