AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gas pickups and performance chips
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

John SD
Posted 3/19/2008 12:18 (#337506 - in reply to #337492)
Subject: Speedometer/odometer calibration vs actual miles travelled/road speed?

I don't get it that the BFG grips were "huge" compared to the "same diameter"
A/S Yokos. The BFG can't be "huge" if they are the "same diameter". Gotta be one way or the other, but not both. Maybe the grip tread just makes the BFG look "huge".

I'm thinkin' the BFG's likely would be larger diameter than the Yokos even if they were the same size tire on the same wheel.

Example: an accurate 55 mph speed with Yokos might actually be 60 mph with the BFG tires. So in this case the effect would be you would be driving at faster road speed with the BFG rubber, likely knocking gas mileage.

Large diameter should throw the speedometer off reading fewer miles than actually covered. My question if the route was the same between fillups: did the total distance measured on the odometer vary between the two sets of tires?

Edit: rereading the original post I see the BFG were retained on their rims and reinstalled to check again. Maybe the BFG are the same diameter AND wider than the Yokos? A wider tread would create more rolling resistance than a narrower tire. A/T tread would also have more rolling resistance due to tread squirm than A/S.

Route, miles, air pressure, weather, loaded weight, and other factors all being equal. OK, I'll shut up now!

Edited by John SD 3/19/2008 12:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)