AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gas pickups and performance chips
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GinNB
Posted 3/20/2008 09:14 (#337798 - in reply to #337742)
Subject: RE: Save any money?

Jim Beam - 3/20/2008 09:21 How much will you spend and how much will it really save if it does increase your mileage? That's what I could never figure for these devices. Spend $300 bucks on a chip. How long to earn that back assuming it really works? It might. What I don't get is the people that buy a car for better gas mileage yet they keep the truck. Now they have the cost of the car, insurance, taxes. to offset 5-10 mpg of economy. Why don't manufacturers set the engine to begin with if its that easy? Is it an emmissions issue?

Depends on how many miles a year you travel.  Say 20,000.  The difference between 13 and 14 mpg at 20,000 miles/year is 110 gallons.  How much is fuel/gallon where you are?  It's over $4/US gallon where I am.  That'd pay for a $300 upgrade quite quickly, _if_ the chip works. 

Car vs truck?  Say 20,000 miles again and it's 14mpg vs 35mpg.  That's 857 gallons (over $3400) , plus the tires are cheaper on the car and the truck's more reliable for work when you need it.  It also gives you a second vehicle.  Turn that car into a diesel Jetta or Golf with over 45mpg??  You'd be surprised what I can haul in my diesel Golf with roofracks on.  Hehehe...

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)