AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dumb question? But why not..........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 8/7/2006 21:14 (#33613 - in reply to #33609)
Subject: RE: Dumb question? But why not..........

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

And, why not use your combine to pull it?

Well, it is not quite the same thing, but the idea, as I see it, is that each tool is specialized for a purpose, that is the point of the above sentence.

I had an IH 4500 (think that was the right model number) that was heavy enough that several people said it was "almost a chisel plow".  The idea was that it had heavier shanks and could do deeper tillage.  I added shanks to the original so I had less ridging, but I still had the advantage of the heavier shanks, as I had problems with breakage on the previous lighter model chisel plow.

You could change your chisel plow into a field cultivator (in my opinion) but (in my opinion) you would need more shanks so the ground would be leveler.  The shanks on a chisel plow are spaced wide, and do not level the ground well.  You also would have more problems with weed clearance if you added shanks, as most field cultivators have their shanks spaced wide on several rows of bars, where a chisel plow is usually three rows of shanks, sometimes two.

There would also be a problem of whether your chisel plow would be wide enough to be efficient, as most are designed small so they can be pulled deeper than a field cultivator.

In short, this is a question that could be answered yes, but is it really practical?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)