AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How far have you drove
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Dave Greif
Posted 8/9/2006 16:23 (#34104 - in reply to #34087)
Subject: RE: How far have you drove

1206: I have pulled mine also in Farm "stock" classes up to 18,000 lbs. It has an engine that probably has its original pistons & sleeves in it; stock injectors & I run it at 2450 RPM as that is the maximum it will go right now. There is a story about the day I added shims to the governor & it ran slower when I was done than it did before I started (it has to do with the thickness of the original gasket on the governor housing versus the new gasket). I have 18.4-38 3 star Firestone field & road radials on 18 inch wide rims on it with the treads cut down & beveled back just like the NTPA super stock tractors have their tires. It has plenty of power to run 18,000 lbs on a hard clay track in 2nd gear. I think my tractor may have an optional low speed transmission setup in it as it just crawls in 1st gear, & 2nd ain't much faster. I have an over/under hydraulshift unit for it & will put that in it someday after I get my back "overhauled". I'm thinking about putting pistons & sleeves & doing a valve job on the engine with new seats & valves as it doesn't start quite as good as it should & will use a quart of 30 weight in about 3 to 4 hours when loaded. Don't make any jokes about leaks; I'm proud of how tight I got it sealed up when I put a new head gasket kit & oil pan & front & rear seals & miscellaneous gaskets on it about 7 or 8 years ago. These were a heck of a tractor in their day & still will go out & work with the big ones if you add enough weight to them. The 1950's hydraulics are definitely too low in capacity to match up to today's tractors, but they will still pull an 8 bottom plow in the soils we have here in central Iowa. Dave Greif
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)