AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Introduction from "the other side of the Aisle"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

Derrick W
Posted 4/27/2016 14:36 (#5266762 - in reply to #5266194)
Subject: RE: Introduction from "the other side of the Aisle"

Thanks Paul. I sell a service, not a product, so it would make even less sense for me to try to sell it here (if I were so inclined). I'm definitely not a salesman and often get told that my conversations with potential customers about drones sound "counter productive", so I hope it'll be obvious after a time that I'm not trying to drum up business here.
A few things that I preach all the time are:
1. Precision agriculture doesn't NEED drones, and they do not currently fit into most workflows as a diagnostic tool. We'll provide the service if it can be used, but it often makes more sense for the grower to just get their own and take pictures from the air.
2. NDVI has become a buzzword in the drone world that means "magic wand", instead of an acronym that has a deeper meaning and some specific applications. It's not a new service or technology, and it's not applicable to all crop varieties and environments. It's also hard to generate accurate results, and you lose the ability to see obvious signs of poor data collection once you hand the pictures off to be processed. Ok anyways, I'll cut myself off before I go into my normal NDVI rant.

I hear you on the weather issue though. We have about a 10 hour drive planned for Friday and the weather looks iffy. Too marginal to cancel, though.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)