AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Started planting grass this week. (few pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 9/28/2006 15:39 (#47402 - in reply to #47344)
Subject: RE: Started planting grass this week. (few pics)

Dont apologize, its not a common practice everywhere. I'm still trying to learn about some of these no-till practices.:-)

The charcoal is a dry powder. Very, very fine powder. It is mixed into the starter fert mix at the fert dealer. A lot of the reason to use the liquid fertilizer is just to get the charcoal to mix easier. It'll mix in and stay suspended a lot better in fertilizer than water. (that is if you can get it mixed with water to start with) It needs to be ordered to be mixed and delivered as close to the time of planting as possible. For me, its just about 2-3 hours from order time to deliver time. While sitting idle as I plant, the nurse tank needs to be agitated constantly. It dont take much agitation, but it is good practice to have a small amount of material circulating while the tank is sitting.

I have several ideas that I'd like to try in the future with mixing the charcoal to the fertilizer at the nozzle, but that'll have to wait till I get the chance. For now, the reason it is applied with liquid is the fine powders problem with drifting. The charcoal needs to be applied right over the seed and have a definate line of application. If you have any breeze or air movement with the dry powder, you can imagine the amount of drift you'd have. Then the herbicides effectivness would be negated.

Hope that helps some. If you have any other questions, and if I can answer them, I'll certainly try to.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)