AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jim, Your strippers are teasing me
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/7/2006 22:28 (#59067 - in reply to #59057)
Subject: RE: Jim, Your strippers are teasing me

Driftless SW Wisconsin

They sure will work well in heavy clay. I have about as heavy clay as anyone on my place in WI. Harvested some very good corn there today.

The nice thing about our all coulter unit is that you can run it this fall if you get time. If not just run it in the spring. I strip tilled mine in the morning in some heavy wet clay with all N as 32 gals of 28% down one side, planted corn the next afternoon. Worked well.

Should be even easier on the ridges. Biggest problem would be keeping a pull type unit on the ridges.

If you are 6 or 8 row, a simple mounted bar with the sway stops set tight should work just fine. Give it a day or more to dry out then plant with just Trashwheels on the planter, plus maybe Curvetines as closers in clay and you will be amazed how well it works. You should be able to remove as much or as little of the ridge as you want.

Even if you plant 12, a 6 row mounted strip till unit on ridges may work ok.

Our unit will work with much lower hp tractor than others and will not disturb the ridge as much as shank type machines.

The picture below was taken last week in some VERY WET Ohio bean stubble. Any clods left (as in a combine tire track) will gray off in a couple hours to a day depending on weather. I used to worry about them but my heavy driven on compacted clay I left clods but after a day they fractured nicely when the Trashwheels on the planter hit them - it was a perfect place to plant.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 11/7/2006 22:36

(Dawn Strip Till C OH bean stubble very wet clay 11-03-06 dsc01004.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Dawn Strip Till C OH bean stubble very wet clay 11-03-06 dsc01004.JPG (88KB - 130 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)