AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jim, Your strippers are teasing me
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/8/2006 10:44 (#59193 - in reply to #59144)
Subject: RE: Jim, Your strippers are teasing me

Driftless SW Wisconsin

The 6 row setup in the picture has gage wheels on the front of the bar, not between the row units. It also has our hydraulic down pressure system. This will go through corn stalks if you can keep the row units between the old standing cornstalk rows.

I need to clarify something here - the photo from Michigan we took last Friday was taken on our Dawn Vision 12 R 30 toolbar with 12 Pluribus units on it with our hydraulic down pressure system. This is a customer converting from 22" rows to 30" rows, corn on corn in some fairly high residue. Looking at the video my guys took I was amazed that we were able to get through this as well as we did.

One of the main reasons we were able to get through the mismatched MI row spacing is that the Vision bar has the row units staggered significantly which lets the residue get through between the rows in conditions where side by side rows would plug between the rows. The 6 row in line mounted bar may not have been able to get through as shown.

However having said that, the customer who called from C IL is running units in line in corn on corn, as are many others. I think the key is that once you get the SYSTEM going, and it is a SYSTEM, things get easier. When you get your rows straightened out so you can stay between them, when you get your traffic patterns, corn head harvest technique and tire spacings worked out so you drive on the old stalks rather than in the middles, things get easier.

But you do need to realize this is a complete system and may take a couple seasons to get completely implemented, as the customer who kindly called last night discovered and is now benefiting from. And you will probably be amazed at how your soils will respond.

The Michigan machine was located near Caro. If you are in that area you can contact the dealer Mike at Farm Depot in Caro. I will add the picture of the 6 row (inline) in OH corn and the 12 row (Vision/staggered) in the MI corn with changing row spacing.

Jim at Dawn

(Dawn Strip Till C OH cornstalks 11-03-06 dsc00993.JPG)

(Dawn Strip Till C MI 30 on 22 cornstalks from bar platform 11-03-06 dsc01011.JPG)

(Dawn Strip Till C MI 30 on 22 cornstalks from bar platform 11-03-06 img_0529.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Dawn Strip Till C OH cornstalks 11-03-06 dsc00993.JPG (94KB - 163 downloads)
Attachments Dawn Strip Till C MI 30 on 22 cornstalks from bar platform 11-03-06 dsc01011.JPG (87KB - 176 downloads)
Attachments Dawn Strip Till C MI 30 on 22 cornstalks from bar platform 11-03-06 img_0529.JPG (72KB - 171 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)