AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jim, Your strippers are teasing me
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/9/2006 12:56 (#59629 - in reply to #59541)
Subject: RE: Just corn-soybean rotation

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Chad,

When you were discussing taking your planter into the stalks with Trashwheels this fall you said you were "surprised at how it looked" in the tough stalks. Pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised? What did it look like.

As far as making strips into tire tracks, this is one reason we are leaning more to our hydraulic down pressure system rather than springs. In bean stubble especially the hard tire tracks can be tough. With the hyd DP system you can apply enough DP to get a decent strip in the track but not bury the other rows. Here is a photo of a customer in Indiana with some very compacted tire tracks made by a heavy 8010 when the soil was wet. We're not doing too bad a job once we found the right combination of depth wheel setting and down pressure.

With a pull type unit you can also tweak performance as you go through the field by raising or lowering the lower link tow point a couple inches up or down.

You do a good job communicating on here - I did not understand your whole tillage system with the manure. Now I do.

The smaller swept back tooth 12.75 dia Trashwheels come up higher and shed material a bit easier than our radial tooth 14" wheel. However if the standard is working ok I would stick with that. A radial tooth sometimes "bites in" to a thick compacted mat of corn residue and moves it better than a swept back tooth. There just is no one answer so we try to offer a broad range of products.

Regards,

Jim at Dawn

(Dawn 7940 16R30 Strip Till in bean stubble dsc0723.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Dawn 7940 16R30 Strip Till in bean stubble dsc0723.JPG (91KB - 87 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)