AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jim, Your strippers are teasing me
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/8/2006 11:47 (#59209 - in reply to #59140)
Subject: RE: That doesn't look wet to me - NW Iowa C on C

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Chad,

Thanks for your reply. You bring up several good points. We have learned a lot since you tried our Pluribus units. We have found as the M brothers near you have, that in your corn, soils and terrain there is just no substitute for fully staggered row units in difficult conditions. This provides clearance between the rows to get the residue through. We have also made several changes to the row unit since your units were built to address the RH coulter clearance and other improvements and options. I don't want to discuss the details here.

Hydraulic down pressure also helps get the row units in the ground even in hard tire tracks. It does help to set up your combine to run on the just-harvested stalks rather than in the middles where you are going to strip. "Next years strip till season starts under the feeder house at harvest." 

I remember your situation well. We have a lot more experience and tools to work with than on your trial. I am surprised you could not get the Turbo Till through the stalks either...

In any case I am glad to hear that just notilling into the stalks worked well. If you can make that work than that may be the best system for your rolling hills. If you get a really long cold wet spring however in NW Iowa I think a cleared, black, fertilized strip would be preferable. Do you still use the Case planter? Ordinarily for no tilling corn on corn in your conditions I would recommend our Dawn 1572 coulter combo/ripple blade up front with two of the Curvetine XR's in the back. However neither of those will fit on the Case. On the Case I think our smaller 12.75" swept back tooth Trashwheels would be best. Those are what you have been using to no till aren't they?

We also just had a call from a Pluribus customer just east of you in Iowa who has been using our units on a straight line bar for several seasons and is now interested in moving to our bar. If it is working I'd suggest you just no till. How are you applying your fertilizer in the no till corn? If you still have your air cart, Our 3004 fertilizer coulter fits nicely on Case 1200 planters (with the optional Case front mounted toolbar) so you can cut the stalks and blow your fertilizer down while no tilling your corn and still run double Trashwheels on the row unit. The 3004 also helps keep the planter in line on your sidehills. Good luck.

Jim at Dawn 

Edited by Jim 11/8/2006 11:55
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)