AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any experience with external HDD for DISH TV?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/25/2024 07:27 (#10592325 - in reply to #10591238)
Subject: Thanks for the suggestions

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
bspf - 1/24/2024 13:33

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00671E8DG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_...

This is the one I bought. Works fine. No problem setting up.

I may take a chance on one of those. Just yesterday I attached an older working Seagate HDD drive that has external power into the DISH USB 2.0 port. This drive works properly on my two Windows computers. The in use light flashed a few times and then stayed ON. The DISH system did not seem to recognize its presence. This is the the new DISH receiver I received last week since they felt my original had become damaged since it would not recognize the presence of a HDD either. This morning, I tried moving a recording from the DISH internal drive to the Seagate drive, the DISH system responded with the message about not being able to find an external drive.

In other words, the new DISH receiver is behaving exactly like the old DISH receiver.

At this point, I'm gun shy about purchasing another HDD drive in hoping that one may work. The SanDisk SSD that I tried was recognized but the DISH format was not successful. I have now learned here that I should not use an SSD drive and may have ruined the one that I tried.

The "possibly damaged" SanDisk SSD does show in the device manager of a Windows computer but we have not been able to format it for use with the computer so at the moment it appears to be ruined.

Again thanks for the help but I don't seem to be making any progress on this problem.

I was successful with another unrelated problem. I got a virus on another Win 10 computer that only affected Internet use. I read that performing a system "reset to defaults" might clear that. I started the process but felt that it "hung" at the 35% point and shut that computer down. Tuesday a friend was able to start the reset procedure again. This time we let it run all night. Sometime during the night the procedure was finally completed. That computer then behaved as brand new. I was able to install apps, external drives etc. so it appears that situation has been corrected. I should be able to put that computer into use since the internal HDD drive in my basement computer has a "bad" sound at times. It continues to work fine but I think a bearing is going out on its internal HDD.

Edited by tedbear 1/25/2024 07:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)