AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Talking with my brother in law about God
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

IHC 1470
Posted 2/27/2024 15:02 (#10642204 - in reply to #10631623)
Subject: RE: Talking with my brother in law about God

Idaho

Chris - 2/20/2024 05:07

It's always interesting.

He thinks that there's a paradox, i.e. if God is all powerful then he could stop evil and if he can't then he's not all powerful.  He also thinks that if he can stop evil and doesn't then God isn't good.

I can't get through to him the concept of free will.  We've also talked about Yin & Yang, how can there be good if there is no evil?  How can there be light without dark to compare?

But he does have one question I can't answer.  If God knits you in the womb and can know what you will do because He knows all time then why make you if you are going to H3ll and do evil?  We've talked about God knowing the future because to Him time is like a book, he can look at any page, one far ahead of where you are or one before you exist.  That means He can see what you will do.

He also argues that there is no real free will because we like a child are only offered choices God gives us.  We don't have infinite choices to be or go or do.  I'm not sure how to answer him.

Chris some questions you might ask your BIL.

What choices is God offering that you do not like? What choices would your BIL like to see? How does he know there is evil in the world? What is his definition for evil. Given a choice would your BIL rather see good or evil? Does your BIL see himself as good or evil and by what standard does he come to his conclusion? How would your BIL chose to handle evil if he was in charge. Can good and evil truly coexist and if not how would he deal with that. Can good come out of evil. Can good be corrupted and be made evil? 

Would your BIL chose not to exist at all if he knew he was going to be evil or would he rather have a choice to change his life and maybe the lives of others. It is his choice to make and can not be made by anyone else.
If all your BIL is ask to do is believe and trust, perfection is not expected why is that a hard decision to make? 

I really do not think you can answer his questions in a way that will satisfy him so give him something to think about and let him answer his own questions.

Might make for some interesting discussions.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)