AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cow/calf barn suggestions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ca4430
Posted 2/23/2024 13:30 (#10636785)
Subject: Cow/calf barn suggestions

I’m tossing around the idea of putting up a barn and possibly small dry lot for running a cow calf operation out of. 50-60 head of mama cows would be my goal.

It’s not financially feasible to take land out of rowcrop production to build fence and pasture so that’s not an option.

Currently I run a small feed lot, and row crop. I just buy my calves currently, but for quality and expansion reasons I’d like to transition over to raising some myself for the feedlot. I sell the majority of my lot for freezer beef currently that’s why consistency and quality is so
Important.

I’ve looked at a couple different designs of buildings one was a hoop shed and another was a stick built building without the sidewalls both seem to have their own advantages.

Another obstacle is the feed situation, currently I run a complete ration in a self feeder for my feedlot calves. So, I’m looking into the options for feed for the cow/calf. Currently wheat straw, corn, dry distillers, are easy and on hand, soybean meal and soy hull pellets are pretty easy to get locally as well.

I was trying to avoid the big investment of silage or major hay equipment but that may be unavoidable…

Any suggestions, ideas, pictures or resources would be greatly appreciated…

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)