AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cow/calf barn suggestions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Boone & Crockett
Posted 2/25/2024 04:24 (#10638834 - in reply to #10637228)
Subject: RE: Cow/calf barn suggestions

roo - 2/23/2024 19:29

Chad, I’m not sure what state your from but try contacting your local extension office, or your state cattle association. They can give you some ideas on where to start. Or give you names of people that can offer some advice. The sale barn owner can also give you names and operations to go see.

As far as building types go, hoops and stick built seem to run about the same money anymore. I’d lean to wards stick built as they just seem to last longer. A good open design with calving pens blocked from the wind should work nice. If you can run the cows on corn stalks all fall and some spring rye/wheat/triticale during the spring, that will get them out of the building for a while. If you could also bale up some cornstalks for when the winter weather gets too snowy or muddy. Ammoniating them will raise the protein some. Add a little distillers or lick tubs if needed to maintain condition. Shell corn to maintain energy. A good feed guy can help you make these decisions.

Summers will be a little tougher if your fields are all row cropped. Five acres or more of grass fenced in will help keep you barn cleaner. You’ll have to keep them off it when it’s wet and don’t overgraze that small of an area. You’ll almost need to find some quality hay in the summer to maintain condition. Chopping corn for silage can work OK. You wouldn’t need anything fancy. An old one row chopper and a single wagon would be enough. Hard part would be storage. Any silos around close to use? Bags would work but it may be hard to keep the face fresh.

Lastly, don’t let these keyboard cowboys get you down. They were all where you are 30+ years ago.
I wouldn’t exactly call the above respondents “keyboard cowboys” , a ton of worldly experience interspersed amongst those guys. Most have pretty much seen it all.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)