AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Agleader application rate module
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/22/2024 11:26 (#10675206 - in reply to #10675028)
Subject: RE: Agleader application rate module

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Good to hear. Here is a picture of an App Rate Module. Like all Ag Leader CAN modules it has a stub leading to the CAN bus so the App Rate module can exchange information with the Ag Leader system. Notice the App Rate module does NOT have a 2 pin high current power stub. This is because it doesn't need high current since it is not doing any "work" in the sense of opening valves etc. The "work" that it is doing is all with communication and the 12V from the CAN connection is adequate for that. It does have two Deutsch connectors molded into the case. The black connector is labelled AUX. The gray cable is labelled as COMM.

A 9 pin serial cable from another compatible device can be plugged into the COMM port. A cable for use with Raven controllers is available. A slightly different cable for use with other controllers is also available. These two cables appear identical but are wired differently so it is necessary to use the appropriate cable. This allows an Ag Leader system to exchange information with a third party device such as a Raven 440.

The black connector labelled AUX is used for an implement switch, a flow meter or shaft sensor and also allows for speed input from a radar gun. I have use mine with an implement switch only but more commonly with a Raven flow meter. Speed input from another speed sensing device is possible but if I lose GPS for some reason, I'm basically at a stand still anyway with my other devices. A three branch cable is available to bring these branches to weather pak and AMP speed connectors. One can make their own cables if desired.

The pins have the following uses: Pin (1) 5 volts out to power a flow meter or shaft sensor. Pin (2) 12 volts out to power a radar gun or implement switch. Pin (3) Return from an implement switch if used. Pin (4) Not used. Pin (5) Signal from flow meter or shaft sensor if used. Pin (6) Signal from radar gun if used. Pin (7) Ground to radar gun if used. Pin (8) Ground for flow meter or shaft sensor if used. Pins (9,10,11) Not used. Pin (12) Implement switch ground usually not used.

To use the App Rate Module with an implement switch, get 12V from Pin (2) connect it to one terminal of the implement switch. Connect the other terminal of the implement switch back to Pin (3). If Pin (2) happens to be dead such as on my damaged App Rate module, 12V from another source will do.

To use the App Rate Module with a stand alone flow meter such as I do with my planter or a shaft sensor, Pins 1,5,8 are used. Pin (1) is 5V out to a Raven flow meter. Pin (8) is Ground out to the flow meter. Pin (5) is the signal wire from the flow meter back to the App Rate Module.

In some cases it may be necessary to install a 10K ohm pull-up resistor resistor between the 5V and signal line. This is to insure that the signal line crisply returns to logic HIGH after the sensor has shorted it to ground. This is generally not necessary with a Raven flow meter since they provide a pull-up resistor in their flow meters.
It may be necessary with other flow meters. This is similar to the small spring on a bale counter that insures the handle returns to the UP position after a bale is counted.

If you use a flow meter, you have the option as to whether you wish to use an implement switch or not. I have not found it necessary with my planter. It may be useful in other situations.

Edited by tedbear 3/23/2024 08:08

(IMG_2497 (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2497 (full).JPG (113KB - 18 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)