AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone else have a soft spot for horses?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

FarmerTom4440
Posted 4/11/2024 15:15 (#10703146)
Subject: Anyone else have a soft spot for horses?

Not the type to ever attend a horse show or compete in them. I'm not slamming those that do. Just rode horses to round up and sort cattle. Never really knew what casual riding was. There was work to do and a lot of ground to cover. No time for play.
It wasn't until just before being hospitalized that I had a conversation with a long time, professional roper about self actually trying to compete just for the fun of it. He suggested I start practicing but there was just no time. If I had ever tried it wouldn't have been all that serious.

So now after a close call with death I am no longer on horseback moving cattle across pastures, county roads, and hills. Have to settle for just petting a horse until healing progresses. It's just nice to be around sweet natured horses that don't try to kick ya or bite.

Couple years ago we were out checking on newborn foals . Lady very familiar with horses decides to squat down outside the barn about 30 to 50 feet away from a newborn. The mare interpreted the woman squatting as predator behavior. We had to tell her repeatedly to stand up quick before that mare came over to her. The mare was just in protective mode. I always am careful not to rush up and try to handle the newborns. You never know how a new mom (mare)may react. So far never been attacked by a horse. Still enjoy just hanging out with babies. Praying that God will heal me so that I can ride again. So thankful to no longer be in a wheelchair.

Figured there are possibly a number of other folks on here that just enjoy being around good horses.

Edited by FarmerTom4440 4/11/2024 15:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)