AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hawaii
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

iseedit
Posted 9/23/2010 16:10 (#1371303 - in reply to #1371199)
Subject: RE: Hawaii

central - east central Minnesota -

Cyclone96 - 9/23/2010 13:03 I have read several vacation posts on here over time. It looks like we will be sitting still for a few more days with all this rain in northern Iowa. Assuming I don't drowned or the crops completely washed away I think I may take the wife on a trip this winter. Hawaii looks like a good choice especially from comments I have read on here. Had a few questions - Which Island? What activities? Any hotel/resort recommendations? Anything else. Thanks, Hopefully its dry in your area and you don't have time to reply.

Which Island? If it's your first time? From my experence and taste's, I would highly recommend Oahu (Waikikii Beach). Plan on two Islands, starting with Oahu. This is the least expensive Island for tourist, for the most part. It is the busiest of the Islands. The best parts are Pearl Harbor tour and Military stuff. It has lots of shopping opportunities for the woman folk. I perfer the south east part of Waikiki ( http://www.marriottwaikiki.com/ ) or around Fort Derussy area, Embasy suits or Trump Hotel are new in the fort area. The lessor expensive hotels are off the stirp and with in walking distance of the famous Beach down on the east side (generally pretty busy). The Zoo, Aquarium and city park are on this east side also. The reason I like these two areas, I can get away from the crowds. The middle has lots and lots of tourists. After about 2 days of getting your bearings, you can take a couple tours of this Island - Peral Harbor is about the best and most intersting of all (for me anyway). There's lots of Military history there and around there, that should be offered on the tour. I recommend a tour to get you in there, because there are so many people going through there and they only take so many people on a very strict schedule (pretty hard to walk up and expect to get in without waiting 2-4 hrs to get on the schedule). The tour is on a schedule and they have a guy that does the waiting for you and gets the tour group the pass to get in all in one time. Punch bowl cemetary should be offered as part of a tour also. Very cool. Lots of shopping in the area. There are north shore tours or rent a car and take a drive to the north side. Stop and see the Dole pineapple plantation. In the upland area's are many coffee plantings and mac nut trees.

After 3-4 days on Ouha, it's time for a change. Maui, the Big Island Hawai'i or Kaua'i are the next choices. From what I know, the big island of Hawai'i is a bit less expensive then Maui and Maui is a bit less expensive then Kaua'i. There is tons to do on Maui (my favorite island) and lots to do on Hawai'i, but Kaua'i is a bit restrictive for me, and spendier. They all have their great points. Kaua'i has a grand canyon that rivials the mainland's grand canyon - Waimea Canyon and Koke`e State Park.  The big island, Hawai'i has the valcano and is such a big island, you can tour around on your own and learn/enjoy for days. As for Maui, well, all these islands cost more to stay at the hotels and such. But, it's worth it for the temperate weather as compared to Minnesota in Jan and Feb. I'm pretty cheap when it comes to traveling - wife likes clean, roomy and comfortable (that means more money). There are bargins that can be found in these islands for room and food. Nice rainy weather like this helps with internet searches. I found, for all the islands, follow the old retired vacationers - they seem to know the less expensive places to eat, stay and tour.

Maui is where we end up. There's plenty to do and not enough time or money to do it all in one trip. Our last trip was the best out of about 6. We were more relaxed just touring around the island and finding all the public beaches.

We eat at places that are reasonable priced and have great food. Lot'ta people tell us how spendy it is on the islands - well, we do not drink, and find food prices about the same as going out to the name brand resterants here on the mainland. Yes, you can find more spendy food - but that's not us. I figure it cost xx amount of $$ to fly over there, so when I get there - I want to get the most for my time of flying to and from. Meaning, staying for 7 days isn't enough. 10-14 days minimun. We generally stay between 12-14 days. I'd stay longer, but the wife needs to get back to her job (why?).
Here is a link to things to do and where to stay on Maui - it has lots of helpfull info. http://www.mauihawaii.org/  weed through the advertisement and get to his substance and I found it very helpful. Renting a car and driving around any of the island is easy. Oahu is busy, but still easy to drive around.

Good luck and have fun.

Edited by iseedit 9/23/2010 16:22

(Sony cameria 104.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Sony cameria 104.jpg (70KB - 231 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)