AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ground applied headline damage update
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JDH SE IA
Posted 9/7/2007 12:57 (#199997 - in reply to #199533)
Subject: RE: My 2 cents worth....more on timing

Burlington, IA
Ron, I went back and reviewed my notes from that breakout session. I have to amend my statement slightly, to say that he was adament about the application window being from start of tassel to brown silk, instead of from full tassel. On beans, he specifically stated from R1 to R4 stage for application, with optimal time at R2 to R3. I don't really recall anything being said about the timing where tank mixing with an insecticide is concerned. I didn't get the impression from his remarks, of any concern for damage where early application is concerned, except possibly that the fungicide might not be as effective as it would be when applied at the optimal time. The information regarding delaying the application to brown silk as close as possible to get maximum yield benefit comes fom the gentleman I mentioned here in SE IA, who is an extremely sharp farmer, with extensive experience in the use of Headline. I absolutely believe that's been his experience where correlating maximum yield increase to application timing is concerned. I agree with his assessment that the young ear shoot and silk is so darn sensitive to so many things, that it's just not a good idea to get ANYTHING on that young ear shoot, and risk messing things up. That's one of the reasons, among several, why 2,4-D isn't applied at that stage. If most of the problem situations were connected wih ground application, I still don't think I'd rule out the possibility that if product got on the ear shoot, that it might have played a part in this, not to mention the adjuvant. It would be interesting to know if all parties that have damage used adjuvant from the exact same manufacturer. Maybe that's already been determined. Stranger things have happened than to have a bad batch of adjuvant get out the door. Do the Chinese make any of our adjuvants, by any chance? Sorry I don't have any better answers, but that's what I got out of the rep's remarks in that particular subject area. It was actually a pretty informative session. Any more questions, ask away.

Regards, JDH
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)