AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to Harvest Milo
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

COdrylander
Posted 10/12/2007 09:33 (#218253)
Subject: How to Harvest Milo

NE CO
This is my first year growing milo, and now that it is drying down, I am having problems getting it harvested. My original plan was to use a platform header with milo guards or fingers attached. I had bought a bunch of the milo fingers at a sale this spring in anticipation of trying milo this year. Of course they didn't fit my guards, so I spent two days modifying them and getting ready to go to the field. I have them set so the points run about 2-3 inches above the ground. To make a long story short, a big wind last week blew a lot of the milo down flat, and the fingers aren't low enough to get under the down milo to pick it up. That, coupled with still green russian thistles plugging the fingers make this approach almost worthless. I've never been around a row crop head. Will this work any better. I've also wondered about trying a stripper head. Any grain sorghum growers out there that can give me some ideas? The little bit I harvested yesterday was testing about 14% moisture and I was going around the green areas. What is a safe moisture content to bin it with low to medium air? Thanks in advance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)