AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to Harvest Milo
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

COdrylander
Posted 10/13/2007 10:01 (#218687 - in reply to #218586)
Subject: RE: How to Harvest Milo

NE CO
Each section of the milo guards I have cover three of the knife guards. They have a bolt tab on the back side that bolts to the underside of the center knife guard. They fit great on my old IH 810 header when I used them about 15 years ago to try and lift up hailed wheat. The newer style guards on my CIH 1010 header are much deeper, longer and have more curve on the bottom. The extra 1/2" or so length of of the 1010 knife guards required me to slot the bolt hole and weld half of a washer to the back side to make a longer bolt slot so I could attach them. The deeper, more curved knife guard required me to bend the rod just behind the attachment "snout" under the wire fingers some to bring the bolt tab up to knife guard attachement bolt. This left the finger sticking upward a fair amount, so I put the platform on the ground and bent the milo guard points down to run slightly upward above the knife position.

I guess I thought one reason for using the guards was to help lift down milo. Am I incorrect in this assumption? Anyway, there is no way to get under the flattened milo in portions of the field that I can see with these guards, especially with the big, still green russian thistles waiting to hang up in the fingers. I think you are correct in saying I might as well get rid of the fingers and just get the platform down and see what I can get. I am still trying to locate a row crop head in the meantime.

Edited by COdrylander 10/13/2007 15:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)