AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

leaking slurrystore!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

martin
Posted 2/17/2008 20:56 (#312358 - in reply to #312290)
Subject: RE: leaking slurrystore!

I think I would get on the phone first thing monday morning and insist that he contact the company rep, and they get an engineer out to your place promptly.... have that engineer evaluate the situation and give you advice on how to proceed.  If your dealer is not willing to do this, you may want to go to the slurrystore website and found out how to contact them directly.  However, it would be my preference to go thru the dealer to make this contact......

If it was mine, I would want to have that engineer on your property no later than this week. 

If you can't get a company engineer out to examine the situation, maybe you can contact the local NRCS office in your county, and have an NRCS engineer examine the situation and give advice.  However, I think my first preference would be to have the Slurrystore engineer out to examine it.

It may be not a serious deal, that you can wait to do something until spring.  However, I would not take that chance without having someone with more expertise giving that advice.

I think the first thing that needs to be done is to make sure you aren't adding more pressure to the potentially unstable situation.  If you can find a way to handle currently generated manure - i.e. , scrape and haul daily - that should be considered.  Remove manure from the structure to a point below the leak , if you can.   Realize, when you actually come to the point of repairing the structure, you may end up removing panels to get it completely empty.  At that point, you can/will remove any accumulated solids with a skid loader, etc. (I've seen that done more than once in this area.)

As Russ alluded to, you need to know what the environmental regulations are in your area - what do you need to do in case the structure actually ruptures.  It would be good to find out those answers now.  (In this area, I would contact the local Conservation District for guidance.  Your area may be the same, or be different.)

Also,  are you close to a stream?  IF so,  that would make the situation even more critical.

Bottom line..... get a company engineer on your property to give you their advice on what to do.  I think that is the best route at this point.

(Keep us informed how this develops.)

Edited by martin 2/17/2008 21:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)