AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What row attachments for this planter?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 2/26/2008 12:42 (#319924 - in reply to #319893)
Subject: RE: What row attachments for this planter? - (Pic)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Brandon,

Our Dawn 1572 coulter comvo with dual new 12.75" diameter swept back toothed trashwheels WILL fit on all rows of a JD1770NT series with the standard parallel links. Are you running the JD single disk fertilizer coulter?

I agree with the use of a centered coulter behind the rotary harrow. In many soils they will level/dry the surface and distribute residue but if you stick your finger straight down into the soil behind most rotary harrows in most soil conditions you will find a very stiff harder surface where the rotary tines have swept the soil, especially if it is a bit wet which is often where the rotary harrows are used.

Usually in that situation we recommend using the 3/4" wide 16" diameter 13 wave blade. Running one Curvetine closing wheel also helps a lot in your area, especially in the gumbo areas.

By the way the coulter can be easily removed for planting into heavy wet gumbo with row cleaners only. Row cleaners have the acme screw depth adjustment, coulter has 3 holes - almost always run it in the center hole which puts the bottom of a new 16" blade flush (actually 1/8" above theoretically) with the bottom of new vee opener disks.

I do NOT agree with your suggestion that using a rotary harrow eliminates the need for row cleaner when planting corn into bean stubble. First of all I would only run the rotary harrow where you have a reason to, especially in MO. The row cleaner will still give you more consistent seed depth control....your row units will not bounce as much as they would without row cleaners. Coulters only leave a little ridge right next to the seed slot. The 1572/TW combo makes things much smoother and more consistent.

Here is a picture. This setup will fit. Apologies for a little flash rust - it had just rained the night before and this planter had been in the field overnight. This unit does have the 13 wave 3/4 wide blade also. I would suggest also trying one Curvetine + one rubber closer per row on each end row so you can see if there is an emergence difference between those and your other 2-rubber rows.

I see you do a lot of custom work also - this is a good setup for widely varying conditions seen in custom planting operations in MO.

Jim at Dawn   

Edited by Jim 2/26/2008 13:21

(IMG_0392 Dawn 1572 w 1130a-12.75 TW on JD NT Folded.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0392 Dawn 1572 w 1130a-12.75 TW on JD NT Folded.JPG (84KB - 73 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)