AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Irrigation with pipe or ditch.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Posted 8/11/2006 09:59 (#34664 - in reply to #34369)
Subject: RE: Just wondering...?

I would "LOVE" such a luxury. I have a well in the center and have to lay mainline pipe both ways 1/4 mile each way, thru the tall corn field , to get to my gated pipe. Now laying 1/2 mile, and picking up every year doesnt seem like much does it? And that term 'easy' you throw out, stop on by, and try it 110* in the shade, no wind,8'tall corn always is or best part of it!! That dam 1/2 mile of 10" pipe will kill ya, the gated lay easy, the main not so easy and it doesnt slip together and apart very easy with those little gravel stones embedded in gaskets. then you get hot and tired and somebody 'pushes' the pipe in rather than a gentle turn and careful careful install AND they push the gsket in front of the pipe, then after you find a geyser and a mud hole it blew way bigger than you think. you get to split that pipe apart in the middle of the run, reinstalling a gasket and trying to get it together without doing the SAME thing. It is a bitch any way you look at it . Plus the fact you are walking and laying the pipe either across ditched and TOO bumpy ground for the trailer to travel or up ditched rows too crooked for your feet to walk on without twisting your ankle,,,plus running down a trailer wide space of that 8' or taller corn to get the trailer down and having to trip thru those too. All in all you lay 1 1/4 of mile to water 85 acres and THEN get to open and shut 1450 gates all summer long while you hear that 3 buck diesel fuel shooting in the sky for 24 hours out of 24, 7 days a week, burning more fuel than you can possibly get back, but if you dont you get zip too. Like the landlord says. You need rainfall to make it work,too dry and you arent going to get the water across and too wet and you didnt need to lay the pipe. Some of this pipe gets turned 180* to water runs going the other way yet!! Odd shaped fields are the pits and underground pipe would be so lovely, but the landlord had his chance to get it done a few times and thought it just cost too much!! What did it cost NOT to do it??? Forty years later and still fighting it year after year. I still maintain its a natural candidate for drip irrigation but youngens dont know nothin and get poo-pooed, "THAT would NEVER work!!!" I guess because its not HIS diesel that runs thru way too fast. And the water doent run thru because of zero slope. Landlord saved dollars when leveling, on top of flood damaged areas!! Its VERY good land, with a terrible poor irrigation setup for todays times. Back when installed and 9 cent diesl, no problem. Would work best IF you could squeeze OWN fuel out of soys or canola or something to feed the beast all summer!!! And feed the remainder to hungry cows!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)