AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

airports
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 1/12/2016 14:04 (#5030771 - in reply to #5029955)
Subject: RE: airports

Chebanse, IL.....

Old & Ugly

You're not looking for an argument, so let's call it discussion if that's more appropriate.

My position is not as you suggest. I do not suggest anyone violate FARs. However, just as in our government, I'll often question the practical motive of any rule. I think the airspace should be shared. I don't think if I have a field that is 4.9 mis from the center of an airport that my drone can be a threat to air navigation when the drone is operating @ 400' or below and within it's constraints of VFR ops. Yes, that would require the drone to operate within regs, which I would expect. We should also expect the aircraft will operate within regs. We should also assume those on the ground will not shoot down either drones or aircraft because they may pass over their property.

I am suggesting the airspace should be shared and that it's unreasonably stringent to run a wall from the ground up to ? in a 5 sm perimeter around any airport. I do think large, heavy traffic airports should be granted that privilege however. I do think the casual seaplane base near Dave's farm (think flying off of a lake in IN in January) needs to be even more lucrative. I guess I've never seen floats operate on ice.

I'm guessing that in your part of the world that airports are further apart & that you may have much more freedom to choose airspace for your drone flights than those in more densely aviation populated areas. If we have to make all the rules for that one renegade, then there is either no need for rules, or there is no need for drones, which would end the conversation. I believe the gripes I've heard so far are about the overkill need of running the excluded airspace to the surface. How close are you to an airport? How close were those farm fields you used in your videos to any airport?

I think we can share the airspace. Drones are only asking for up to 400' agl. What, may I ask, was your position on sharing airspace when we went thru this with the UL movement in the mid-70s? Do you feel any differently about ULs now?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)