AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Doesn't look like the early bird gets the worm this year.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Delmarbe
Posted 8/24/2006 06:33 (#38328 - in reply to #38279)
Subject: Re: Doesn't look like the early bird gets the worm this year.

Hutchinson, MN
Nathan,
In our nortern climate, I think a little of that can be seen every year. I dairy, so I've accepted the fact I'll never be in the field as quick as the cash grain producers. My first planted corn looks terrible, short and uneven w/ poor color. It will all be chopped for silage. I also planted some in June, it looks great, although I'll admit it's a little bit behind in maturing, I'm not worried about it making black layer before frost. The second field of corn I planted was across the fence from a cash grain operation, it had been planted 5 weeks earlier, and was at 3 leaves when I planted. I had been following those two fields all season, til the 4-wheeler broke down, mine tasseled less than one week after the other field. I realize the new hybreds are bred to handle early season stress, but is it really the best for the crop? Maybe this forum could debate that? In the livestock portion of my business we do everything possible to reduce stress, the cash grain porducers seem to me to be proud of how much early season stress they can put thier crop under. Just my 2 cents, w/a small view from a dairy induced small corner of the world. (I'm pretty sure I'll be told I'm justifying my being late at my field work!) Thanx, Del
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)