AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How far does a tank of anhydrous go?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 8/26/2006 13:58 (#38900 - in reply to #38791)
Subject: RE: How far does a tank of anhydrous go? My 2cts

Chebanse, IL.....

Chad, I'll give our viewpoint-making no recommendations. Everything will refer to "here".

We like using NH3. We believe the tanks commonly referred to as "1500 gal" actually hold 1450....right? But-we don't do much w/the gallon nomenclature anyway. We buy it by the ton, apply it by the lb, and weigh it by the lb, but the scale breaks @ 20# anyway. I believe raw NH3 weighs 5.12 #/gal.

Here, the most I saw @ sidedress time was about 6600# of raw product in a 1450 g. tank. That would be @ about 90% fill by sightgauge (often inaccurate). NH3 is 82.5% nitrogen. So-there was about 5445# of actual N in that tank. You divide by your actual N/A app rate. If it were 100#/A goal, you could do 54A on that tank. They could, but don't, fill the tanks over 90%, because they'll often "pop off" on hot days in the sun if they're just sitting. Could happen being towed down the road or when you hook up. So-they have to be filled carefully. A tank will normally carry about 80-100 psi of pressure. If a tank is low on pressure, it can sometimes spoil flow rate in cold weather (below 50?).

That loaded tank weighed a little over 11,000# gross. So-you have about a 5,000# e.w. The 1000 gal tanks are falling from favor around here. I've never seen a double tank in this area, but have seen photos.

We consider both NH3 & UAN annually. We've sidedressed w/both thru the ages. We prefer NH3 now. Economics are still there for it....but it may depend on acreage. Getting quality bars/tanks/trailers from supplier can be challenging. I personally don't know why they don't discount more (=realistic!) for supplying your own equipment. But-that's the same problem w/liquid.....here. Dealers here do allow approx. $10/T if you haul the tanks yourself. Most also say that in reality-they couldn't take care of very many customers if they had to deliver many tanks. I can sure see that problem...unless dealer has low # of customers & close by. Liquid can be same delivery problem. Some are now acquiring their own semi-tankers for hauling UAN (28 or 32). Dealers here say delivering liquid can be big problem w/nurseOur problem w/liquid is just the sheer volume & weight that we'd have to handle. 32% UAN weighs about 11#/gal. If your target was 100#/A of N, that would require about 312# of gross material. So-that same 54A from above would require about 17,000# of gross material....plus the tank/frame/gear. That's a lot of lbs to drag thru the field one way or another. We also found turn-around time to be much less w/NH3. It takes a good pump/hose to refill liquid quickly (relative term). You obviously probably can't fill the NH3 tanks yourself, but you can unhook/hook to another in about 5 minutes....maybe less.

I wonder why some are claiming trouble w/sealing in dry dirt? I guess we don't have a problem. I'd say we probably have more trouble sealing in wet conditions...but I'm talking about conditions where you probably can't pull the bar anyway. Re. danger....yes, NH3 carries danger of it's own. The ammonia isn't fun...but you can get used to it. The "burn" effect is not to be taken lightly. 1 drop of liquid on your skin will make you wish you hadn't. But-I just read where ag is the 4th most dangerous profession (I think). We apply pesticides w/skull & crossbones on the label. We apply a LOT of it too. Farmers get killed every day somewhere. Not sure many of them get killed by NH3 though. But again-I'm not saying to take it lightly. I don't encourage ANYONE to switch to NH3. I'm just saying we're happy. The economics here favor NH3 by $0.15/lb.

Edited by Ron..NE ILL..10/48 8/26/2006 19:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)