AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

liquid fertilizer vs dry
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Bill Moyer
Posted 9/23/2006 07:08 (#45932 - in reply to #45820)
Subject: Re: liquid fertilizer vs dry

Coldwater, Michigan
Good points, Pat,
I also know about the pint is a ton salesmen. That's what my opinion of too many of NACHURS salesmen was. I was originally with ALPINE PLANT FOODS - Canadian division, before they married NACHURS. At the marriage I inherited the NACHURS Salespeople as well. It blew me away that some were still promoting the "this is all you need" program.

I will agree that some people could use it for quite a while before needing more, but certainly not the case with most! I have had much success with using the premium starters as a "starter" product only. You still need an overall good fertility program. That may mean to broadcast the difference, or to band beside the row. No-till presents some different issues as far as what needs to happen.

Some of the big resistance to carrying fertilizer on the planter has to do with slowing the planter down by having to refill all the time. That's where seed-placed starters shine. They get the plant off to an excellent start with a better root system, so that the plant can take better advantage of the fertility in the soil, and don't slow the planter down much for refill. We keep hearing about depleation of fertility with the seed placed starters. Same thing happens with depleation if all you are doing is using 50/50 10-34-0/28% at 8 to 15 gallons. You need to make up the difference somewhere. That may mean broadcasting the difference, or some other method.

If acres per hour are important- use seed placed starters with some other form of fertility to complete the program. A number of things work!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)