AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

liquid fertilizer vs dry
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 9/24/2006 00:51 (#46204 - in reply to #46130)
Subject: Re: liquid fertilizer vs dry - and anhydrous

Driftless SW Wisconsin

This is an interesting thread. It does point out the differences in practices by location. In eastern ND strip till is really taking hold and showing good results even in a tough year like this one. In western ND with a much drier climate, more rocks and shorter season than even the eastern part of the same state, I have been convinced by customers that they have to do their planting and fertilization in one pass.

Another approach to the "one pass" system is to apply anhydrous ammonia with a standard JD or Kinze corn planter. We have a couple customers who are having good results applying both NH3 and 10-34-0 at the same time with the planter using our Dawn 3004 fertilizer coulters. The 10-34-0 can be split to put 5-6 gal in furrow and the balance of the P requirement down about 4" to the side and 4-5" below the surface using same tube with the NH3 (two 3/8" hoses spaced apart into the same 1.5" 304 stainless tube, the NH3 tube slightly longer than the 10-34-0 tube). Edible beans respond well to the nh3 as I recall and it is a lot less stuff to haul than say 28%. dry would probably be a second choice to nh3. 

There are a lot of air carts in this area also so some use their air cart pulled behind the planter to apply all fertility at planting time as dry 3-4" to the side and 4-5" deep with the 3004. With the acres they cover and the expected corn yields (100-150 bu/a) they feel they have to do it in one pass.

In general I think liquid vs dry and one pass vs two or more also depends on your soils and many other factors. In sandy soils the liquid may disappear quickly. Dry can be encapsulated for slow release and a mix of normal and slow release used...lots of factors to consider and really probably no one answer. As much as I personally dislike using nh3, there are some places where it has some things going for it and should be part of the discussion. jmho.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 9/24/2006 00:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)